Scott Solution – Shower Shelves
I’ve renovated a lot – and I mean A LOT – of bathrooms, and one thing I’m always looking to add more of is storage. Usually, I do this with vanities and other shelving units, but it’s also incredibly important to think about the area within the shower.
Shampoo bottles, body washes and bars of soap can take up a lot of room, so when I can, I like to install custom niches. These are great because they can either match or complement the tile in the shower area. But depending on the type of renovation I’m doing, this doesn’t always make sense.
Fortunately, Schluter Systems have come up with a great new option – brushed stainless steel shelves designed to match their shower grates. I just tried them in the latest episode of Scott’s House Call and I’m SOLD. Here’s why:
Ease of Installation
- Made with 5/32” thick stainless steel, these sturdy shelves require no special tools for installation.
- They fit neatly between rows of tile and do not require any materials or fasteners to penetrate the waterproofing membrane on the walls.
- They can be used in new showers and/or retrofits. With retrofits, all you have to do is grind out some of the grout and use adhesive to keep them in place. Very solid and very sturdy.
- Different shapes allow for different placement within the shower area.
- They are designed to complement Schluter’s existing shower drains, which I already use in many of my bathroom renovations.
- There are five different shapes and sizes, which makes it easy to select a shelf that suits any situation.
- You can use profiles with the same finish around any tile edges to complement the design of the shelf.
Durability and Performance
- Unlike some caddies and built-in shelves, the design includes drainage holes so water won’t accumulate and get mouldy or scummy.
- Made of durable stainless steel, these shelves won’t crack or chip.
I can be a bit obsessive when it comes to organization, and new shower shelves are something that get me pretty excited. But if you’ve ever struggled with falling shampoo bottles and rogue bars of soap, you should be excited too!
So tell me, what’s your worst shower storage story? Leave a comment below and let us know!
Photos courtesy of Schluter Systems and McGillivray Entertainment