Window and Door Replacement for Property Managers
If you’re the Property Manager of a multi-unit rental, whether it’s a low-rise townhouse or a mid-rise apartment building, there may come a time when you need to replace the windows and/or doors. And unlike with your own home, there are some special considerations that come into play.
Why Replace Windows & Doors
There are several reasons why you might nee to replace your building’s windows or doors.
- They’re damaged
- Over time, windows in multi-unit buildings (particularly high rises) can get damaged due to weather (rain, hail, wind, etc.) as well as tenant turnover. General wear and tear through multiple tenants and high traffic areas can wreak havoc.
- They’re causing energy loss
- A lot of energy can be lost through windows, which plays a big part in heating and cooling costs (not to mention that it’s bad for the environment). Replacing windows and drafty doors can reduce this loss by as much as 20-30%. It will also help to increase interior comfort for your tenants – always a good thing.
- Never underestimate the effect windows have on a building’s facade. Dingy windows can make it look old and tired, while new ones can make it look completely fresh and appealing.
Window Materials and Styles
Apartment buildings have some unique needs, so it’s best to consult a professional company, like Pollard Windows and Doors, to discuss the options. Some of their recommended products include:
- Advantage Line Premium All-Vinyl Windows
- Advantage Line of premium lead-free vinyl windows were developed to minimize any maintenance for the lifetime of the product, which is something Property Managers can certainly appreciate. Advantage windows are offered in several complementary exterior colors and various glazing and grill options.
- Liberty Collection Vinyl Clad Wood Windows
- This collection combines a maintenance-free vinyl clad exterior with a natural wood interior, allowing your property to have the best of both worlds. These windows allow you to improve curb appeal, but the variety of interior wood finishes also blend beautifully with any interior décor. These window systems are also highly efficient, and either meet or exceed the latest ENERGY STAR standards.
- Polardor Entrance Systems
- This insulated entrance system can be made of with either a steel or fiberglass door slab and offers great durability and security. Available in both paintable wood and vinyl, and with options for decorative lites and transoms, you can find the design to best meet the needs of your building’s entryway.
Disruption to Tenants
One of the biggest issues you’ll have to deal with when replacing windows (and sometimes doors) is the disruption to the tenants. In a perfect world you could do it between tenants, but this just simply isn’t always possible. Unlike other types of building repairs, window and door replacement has to take place in each individual unit, which can be very intrusive. I highly recommend that you work with a company that can do same day delivery and installation, and will leave the unit spotless at the end of the day. That said, as the Property Manager it’s up to you to communicate clearly with your tenants about how the process will work (or make sure the installers are communicating with them), and what they can do to help (ie – moving furniture away from work areas, etc.).
For more information on choosing windows for your home or rental property, please visit pollardwindows.com.